Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Genetics

Before the discussion in class concerning genetics, I hadn't taken time to consider where my personality traits come from (nature or nurture). I had always considered the way I act a product of my environment. But now that I think about it, I realize that there are certain traits in my personality that come from my father; or so I've been told. I have never met or spent a day of my life with my father but yet my mother tells me that my jovial character can be attributed to him. In addition to this, I have a nervous tick which causes me to pick at my chin hairs. I've been told that this comes from my grandfather. I didn't know that he used to do that when he was younger! I think we as individuals must have a balance of what is considered inate and nurtured by our environment. Nobody can be completely constructed to act and think a certain way based off of genetics alone. I believe that certain personality traits like depression and introversion are consequences of how certain people were raised.

No comments: