Sunday, October 21, 2007

American Language

Texting is my way of communicating with my friends. I really don't like talking on the phone much. I don't really know why but there are only particular times when I feel like holding conversation over the phone. Because of this, I use texting as my way of communicating with my friends about whatever it is I feel merits news. In addition, I use texting as my way of communicating with people who I don't want to talk with. To me, not many people offer interesting or engaging conversations. I am bored by most of the topics in which people choose to bring up when I speak with them. And I have found that things that sincerely interest me are not as interesting to other individuals. This makes the art of holding long meaningful conversations with others nearly impossible for me. Instead of suffering through a boring conversation, I text. When there is nothing much to say, I feel small talk can be minimized down to a simple text message.


Most people use the technology of texting these days as a sort of avoidance mechanism. Instead of talking to people face to face or even through phone, they prefer to text. I find myself doing the same thing. In most cases (unless I really can't talk on the phone) I text because I don't want to talk on the phone. Most people who call me for conversation say very little that interests me. In addition, I sometimes don't like dealing with the akward conversations with certain people (ex-girlfriends, crush, old friend, etc.). I suppose texting has served its purpose as being a convenient technology that helps me communicate better. If I didn't have texts then i certainly wouldn't talk to a lot of individuals.

No comments: