Thursday, November 29, 2007

Video Games To Blame...Pshh, My A%*!

Video Games
What’s a little violence really going to do? Mortal Kombat kills, Grand Theft Auto kills and robs, and even Mario kills. The games are fictional. The video game industry has placed censorship on its games for a reason. The fact that people blame video games for the increase in violence levels found in children has everything to do with parenting. I believe video games are the scapegoat to bad parenting. “Oh, my son just killed ten people!! It must have been the video games that taught him that because I certainly didn’t.” I didn’t know what Mortal Kombat was till I was in High School. Not because I hadn’t heard of it, not because my friends didn’t play it when we were younger, but because my mother refused to let me play the game in her household when I was younger. Parents ultimately decide what their child will be exposed to and should be held responsible for allowing children access to things they shouldn’t. There are game ratings very similar to movie ratings. If you wouldn’t let your child go and see the R-rated horror movie then you shouldn’t allow them to play the M-rated video game with guts and killing and robbing.

Video games can’t be the reason for high aggression in children. That existed before video games started their violent themes.

No comments: