Thursday, November 29, 2007

My Boooddy

I like the sexy girls on the cover of magazines. That appeals to me. I can’t say that I have a preference as to what body shape “does it for me” but I think I do prefer proportioned figures. Magazines and movies make sure that their models and actresses represent that by making alterations whenever necessary to body images. I believe this influences people sub-consciously and consciously. Is this a bad thing though? This is something that takes place globally and isn’t unique to American culture. I feel like the obsession with body image is something that is driven by economic principle s. Companies advertise their products and services to people using people. The individuals who promote those products and services must look the part: Beautiful, perfect, sexy, appealing. Americans obsessed with body image and changing their image to mirror someone else can be a good thing. It could promote healthier living to the obese, could promote wearing better clothes for the fashionably handicapped, and it could even help not-so-pretty people make a turn around in their appearance.

The psychological repercussions of this on impressionable minds should be taken into consideration about 3% of the time when deciding which body image should represent a particular thing. While body image representation effects race, gender, depression, and so on, the way that we go about living our individual lives is what is most important. There is no set standard for happiness and if body image representations can make majority of people happy without causing them psychological problems, then the small percentage that do go crazy should be banned from looking at magazines and movies anything else with somebody else’s body image on it.

No comments: