Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Facebook Woes

Abstract taken from MTV Think News article entitled, Busted U? Colleges Catch Students Breaking Rules Via Social-Networking Sites.

"When swarms of Pennsylvania State University students rushed the football field after a win last fall, a post-game riot overwhelmed police. Though only two culprits were arrested on game day, police were able to track down some of the guilty parties later on Facebook: Students had launched a group on the site named "I Rushed the Field After the OSU Game (And Lived!).
In light of such a situation, some students worry they're being watched which in some instances is true. Ken Vance, director of public safety at Georgia College & State University, told The Chronicle of Higher Education in January that he assigns an officer to scour Facebook daily for clues about upcoming parties that may require police presence. Campus security officers at other universities have also admitted to perusing these sites for infractions."

Don't put your parties on Facebook/Myspace! Yeah, they'll get a huge turn out but you're also making an open invitation to the Po-Po. TPD has Facebook/Myspace accounts too. Wanna throw a party? Make a phone list, call people and tell them to spread word! Don't do dumb
sh%@! No, wait-do dumb sh%@-just don't get caught by broadcasting all your activities in your blog and/or in photo albums.

While this is one problem that Facebook presents, it is not the only one. Companies have access to your personal profiles online now as well. After applying for a position with a firm, some of them do investigate you by visiting your Facebook/ Myspace accounts. I definately do not approve of this. Where the hell is my freedom? I now have to be conscientious and paranoid about every little thing I do. If paranoia is real, then my freedom as I knew it must now be false. The confines of society have subjected me to a box. Subconscious and conditioned ways of thinking have been taught. Physics and laws have been established before my time and I cannot change anything relatively conditional. Opportunity and circumstance hold me back. Racism, prejudice, political affiliation, religion, etc. All examples of limitations of my freeedom to do as I please. And now I have to add social-networking websites to that long list of constraints.

No comments: